Video games are traditionally considered as an addictive source of entertainment, but as per the recent researches, it has been proved that high-end virtual games have many benefits for the adults as well as children. Like physical games enhance and strengthen our body muscles and activeness, video games stimulate the brain continually, improving alertness, reaction and response time and overall brain performance.
IF we overlook few slight side effects which can be managed and controlled like effect on eyes, there are various cognitive benefits which include:
• Improves coordination: Since most of the video games require hand and eyes coordination to continuously look into the screen and simultaneously use joystick or remote to control the action, the kid develops coordination between the visual, audial and physical activity of the body which enhances their overall performance.
• Improves critical thinking skills and problem-solving: Virtual world gives the opportunity to the viewer to travel anywhere on the earth and discover new things and cultures. Video games offers an option to make relevant and essential information more engaging and attractive for the students. Alternate reality games and the real-world game plays combine the rich literature and technology in such impressive ways that children while being in the character of the famous ancient characters and stories, learn while playing games. Since games give insufficient time for the player to take critical decisions, it sharpens their reasoning and decision-making skills.
• Sharpens and enhances memory: Playing games require both visual and audial memory of the player, as they may need to memorize the initial instructions and cheat codes which are displayed on the screen for a limited time. Since you cannot remove your eyes from the screen for even a second, you need to master the keyboard so that your hands move smoothly on it. This would again require a lot of practice and precision.
• Improves concentration: video games, especially war games need a lot of alertness and concentration while playing to recognize hidden illusions and attacks well in advance. Hence the concertation and attention power of the players is enhanced.
• Helps developing multitasking quality: Coordination between your eyes and hands on joystick or keys plays a vital role complete the level of the game. The constant practice of this may help the player to develop multitasking.
• Video games help in relaxing and entertaining: Video games have a therapeutic effect on our mind. It is a great stress buster, offers a change from the daily monotonous schedule, and helps in improving mental, emotional and psychological well-being.
• Helps developing technological skill sets: Through video games, children get introduced to technology from an early age. Since their grasping power is much strong then adults, they grasp sophisticated technicalities much faster and this way they form a stable base for future career option.
• Enhances social skills: Since through games children can befriend with like-minded players, video games help them to develop their social circle. As they communicate and coordinate, their bond strengthens.
It is essential to choose a right game depending on your kid’s interest and age group. Continually overlooking their actions and keeping track of the activities, they get involved is required. Since an excess of anything is harmful, balancing their daily schedules between education, outdoor play and virtual games would ensure proper development and growth of your kid.